Monday 7 July 2014

Raikkonen survived a high speed crash.


Ferrari say Kimi Raikkonen is "OK" after he escaped with bruising to his legs in a 150mph crash during the British Grand Prix.
But the team do not know whether he will be fit enough to drive as planned in this week's test at Silverstone.
Raikkonen sustained an impact of 47G in the crash, caused when he lost control of his car as he rejoined the track after running wide on the first lap.
"Kimi is OK. There is no major issue," team boss Marco Mattiacci said.

"We checked several times and we will take a decision about the test and what to do about it."
Raikkonen was taken to the medical centre after hobbling away from his car with help from marshals after the crash, which caused the race to be stopped.
The incident also took out Williams' Felipe Massa, who clipped the Ferrari as he took avoiding action when Raikkonen speared back across the track.
Massa said: "I just saw a car in front of me. Kimi crashed and he was coming into me so I turned right and he hit me. It is a weekend to forget."
Marussia's Max Chilton, meanwhile, said he was "lucky to be here" after the incident.
The British driver was unable to avoid the debris from Raikkonen's crash.
He said: "I saw this alloy fly across and it broke the front left brake duct."

If Raikkonen cannot drive in testing this week, Ferrari could extend development driver Pedro De La Rosa's running to both days, or draft Fernando Alonso in.
Spaniard Alonso fought up from 16th on the grid to finish sixth in the race, losing out on fifth place after a 13-lap wheel-to-wheel battle with Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel.

Both complained about each other's driving but race officials considered their duel to be fair, and Red Bull team boss Christian Horner agreed.
Alonso, who had aerodynamic and energy recovery issues with his car, did not want to elaborate, saying: "If I do you will say there were a lot of complaints on my side that Vettel overtook me using the outside of the track and I don't want that."

It is forbidden under F1 regulations for a driver to gain advantage by going outside the track limits.
Alonso said: "He was reporting every time I was going out and I had two or three warnings from the race direction and he was doing the same behind me.
"If it was not that lap he passed, it would have been the following lap. We had two seconds' pace deficit."
Vettel, who started second and finished fifth, said he had not been happy with some of the moves Alonso used to defend his position.
"Twice I thought it was too much into Turn Six," the German said. "I tried to move around the outside. I was slightly in front.


"I knew he would do everything to stay ahead but my nose was in front and in that case I dictate the corner radius and he has to adapt, but twice he didn't.
"I went on the brakes and went out of the corner to avoid a collision.

No comments:

Post a Comment