Monday 7 July 2014

Hamilton wins home GP to spice up Drivers Championship

Lewis Hamilton said he would go into "attack mode" in his title battle with team-mate Nico Rosberg after victory in the British Grand Prix.
Hamilton closed the gap between the Mercedes drivers from 29 to four points as Rosberg retired for the first time this year.
"The pressure is high but I really feel that now we're back," said Hamilton.
"We'll draw a line under the last nine races and it's attack mode. Start again using my pace and the car's pace."


Hamilton won his home race after starting sixth following a mistake in qualifying, when he aborted his final lap in drizzling rain only to fall from pole position as five drivers, including Rosberg, beat his time.

He had been looking forward to a battle with Rosberg prior to the German's retirement, and added: "I'll take it as it has come. I think today is more just solidifying belief in myself. That recovery - I needed it."
Hamilton had fallen behind in the championship thanks to two retirements, one in the season-opening Australian Grand Prix, which Rosberg won, and the other in Canada in June, where Rosberg was second to Red Bull's Daniel Ricciardo.

"When you feel like the world is crumbling beneath you, somehow with your family and friends, they help pull you through, and also the fans," Hamilton said.
"I was just so disappointed in myself. I really had to pick up, pull my socks up and get on with it if I want to win this world championship, and I can't have situations like yesterday.
"The last two races I've easily had the pace to be on pole position and I've not put it there. Now I'm going to try to rectify that."
Hamilton said he believed he could have caught Rosberg and won the race even if the German had not suffered his gearbox failure.


Rosberg said: "The first problems happened after the pit stop and then it just got worse from there. I was very much in control until then, which is why it is all the more disappointing."
Asked how he felt about his substantial championship advantage disappearing, Rosberg said: "It's disappointing to lose all those points but it is my home race coming up now and I need to start looking towards that."

No comments:

Post a Comment