Sunday 29 June 2014

Lorenzo haunted by the memories of Assen

Jorge Lorenzo accepted full responsibility for his uncompetitive 13th place in MotoGP's Dutch Grand Prix, saying he lost all confidence amid memories of his 2013 Assen crash.

Last year Lorenzo broke his collarbone in a practice accident on the TT meeting's opening day, then incredibly returned to race from 12th to fifth on the Saturday.
But he was off the pace throughout this season's race, languishing as low as 17th after losing ground when he stayed on wets too long in the drying race.
"I have to say that the bike was working quite well in the wet and the dry, I just had a bad race as a rider," said Lorenzo.
"My confidence wasn't great; I didn't want to crash like last year.
"I would like to apologise to my team, the engineers and my fans because they all did their best but today it was definitely my worst race ever.
"In the dry I'm confident and not afraid of crashing but when it's spitting maybe I have the memory of last year and I didn't have things clear in my mind.
"In future if something happens like this I hope to be more confident and less scared of crashing."

It was a troubled race for the works Yamaha team, as Lorenzo's team-mate Valentino Rossi had to start from the pitlane after gambling on slick tyres only to change his mind at the end of the green-flag lap and pit.
Rossi eventually recovered to fifth.

No comments:

Post a Comment